According to the UK government’s statistics on waste from December 2016, our industry was responsible for almost 4000 tonnes of paper waste and 44,500 tonnes of textile waste.
Over the years we've been taking steps to minimise our impact on the environment through adopting new technologies. Recently we've implemented a completely paperless bespoke order management system and developed a textile waste donation policy to support local homeless charities — and the next step is eco-friendly packaging.
From the beginning of April 2018 we will be using either recyclable or biodegradable packaging. There's no opt-in/opt-out; the new packaging will be used for all orders.
Stock of the packing currently used is being exhausted and we'll then make the switch, so we don't have an exact date but it's coming up fast. The changes we're making are:
- Clear poly bags that your products are folded into are being changed to a biodegradable alternative that's manufactured in the UK. This new bag will biodegrade within 6 to 24 months once in the ground.
- Grey mailing bags used to protect your order from the elements when in transit are being replaced with a 100% recyclable alternative. These bags are also made from 100% recycled materials.
- Packing tape used to secure cardboard boxes before shipping is being changed to a 'kraft paper tape' which is both recyclable and degradable.
- Bubble wrap used to protect products like phone cases and canvases during transit is being replaced with a biodegradable alternative. This biodegrades within 12 to 24 months once in a landfill and the harmless residue is simply absorbed into the ground.
- Any other packaging currently used is cardboard and is already widely recyclable!
Please note: The cost of shipping your orders will not be affected by these packaging updates.
If you have any questions about this new packaging you can send an email or live chat.